.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

An Easter Teaching from the Rule of Benedict

Greetings,

Saint Benedict sets a whole chapter of his Rule aside for a teaching on "Alleluia".  This Easter is the perfect time to reflect on his attention to liturgical detail...


From holy Easter until Pentecost without interruption let "Alleluia" be said both in the Psalms and in the responsories. From Pentecost to the beginning of Lent let it be said every night with the last six Psalms of the Night Office only. On every Sunday, however, outside of Lent, the canticles, the Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext and None shall be said with "Alleluia," but Vespers with antiphons. The responsories are never to be said with "Alleluia" except from Easter to Pentecost (RB 39).




"I arose and am still with you,
Alleluia!
I love the Lord who has heard me,
Alleluia,
who has rescued me from death,
Alleluia!
I arose and am still with you,
Alleluia!
Kind and faithful is our God;
Alleluia.
I will live and walk with the Lord,
Alleluia!
I arose and am still with you,
Alleluia!"


~Easter Lauds Responsory

No comments: