.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Entrance of Postulant Peggy

Greetings,

Left: Sr. Maribeth (Vocation Director),
Middle: Postulant Peggy, Right: Sr. Penny (Prioress)

At the beginning of August, one young woman knocked at the front doors of Sacred Heart Monastery.  Prioress Sister Penny opened them to her with one question “Peggy, what do you seek?”  After she shared her response, the Prioress opened the doors and brought Peggy and her family into the monastery as the community sang the response, “What can be sweeter to us than the voice of the Lord inviting us?  Behold in his loving kindness, the Lord shows us the way to life.”
The Prioress and Peggy stood in the midst of the sisters in the front hall as the Postulant director came forward to read from the Rule: “Listen carefully, my daughter, to the teacher’s instructions, and attend to them with the ear of your heart.  This is advice from one who loves you; welcome it and faithfully put it into practice.  The labor of obedience will bring you back to the One from whom you had drifted through the sloth of disobedience.  This message of mine is for you, then, if you are ready to give up your own will, once and for all, and armed with the strong and noble weapons of obedience to do battle for the true King, Christ the Lord.”  ~Prologue of the Rule of Benedict (Vs. 1-3)
Following this message from our Father Benedict, the Prioress spoke to the sisters, “Sisters of Sacred Heart Monastery, will you strive to fully live your call to monastic life in this community, and to support Peggy as she begins her journey with us?”  And the community replied, “We will.”  Finally, the Prioress offered Peggy a simple Benedictine medal, “Receive this medal as a sign of our acceptance of your desire to seek God in this community.”
With this simple ceremony at the front doors of the monastery, Peggy became a Postulant and began her journey into our Benedictine life.  Two months later, she has begun settling into our daily life of the community.  How does someone settle into our family life?  Slowly…  Peggy shared some of her thoughts about these first couple of months.
Our Benedictine family plays together. “I have learned more new games that I can count…in my group. Some include, ‘Snip, Snap, Snort’, ‘Pass the Ace’, ‘Spades’, ‘Hearts’, and ‘Pinochle’. I’m sure there are more, but too many to remember.”  However, we also work to care for our home together and even the Postulant has a household charge or two, “My favorite ‘charge’ would have to be dishes. I am able to do something to the benefit of the whole community. I also really enjoy leading prayer in our living group.”  Postulant Peggy’s room is in the monastery, but along a hallway dedicated to the new members in formation.  The new members are allowed to settle-in to feel comfortable in their bedroom, “I am using an end table my sister, Mary, let me borrow for a while as my prayer table. It works well. I also brought my candles and Scentsy warmer for my room.  Most used item you brought with me? …the most used item I brought with me would be the school supplies I had left from college.  As a part of my Postulancy program, I am taking two Theology courses at the college and one class at the Monastery.  However, the least used item I brought would be my cleaning supplies and tools. I didn’t know all of that would be supplied here to use.”

Central to our Benedictine life is the Liturgy of the Hours, Eucharist, and personal prayer.  Soon after entering, even Postulants begin to fall into the liturgical rhythm, “The most surprising change has been the comfort level I have found being here only a couple weeks short of two months. I find myself thinking of the schedule here while I am away.”  She has even begun the Benedictine habit of carrying a favorite bit from the Liturgy of the Hours along with her throughout the day, My favorite Psalm so far is Psalm 136 when we can reflect on all of God’s gifts to us and respond “God’s love endures forever.”  This continual reflection on scripture also links to some wonderful advice she received from another sister, “I think this is from S. Jane Klimish and has been passed downthrough other sisters as time went on. “The best kind of Lectio is Relaxio.” I find myself falling asleep during my quiet time and personal prayer, that is when I can relax and let go of my worries.”

As a Postulant to our Benedictine life, a new member sometimes has the best advice for those considering religious life, “My advice for any woman feeling the call from God to grow closer to Him with the support of a community would be to visit a Monastery, keep regular communication with their vocation director, and to start to form relationships with other sisters. I would also highly encourage anyone to make a personal retreat, to allow yourself some ‘me’ time to reflect and listen to what God is telling you. Also, having a Spiritual Director is someone to help guide you through the possible ‘new’ or ‘unfamiliar’ feelings you may be having and am unsure of how to respond to those feelings.”

Blessings,

No comments: